Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Let's discuss about awards
Saftstein Offline
Saftstein wreslted a bear once
Inactive FunTracker

Let's discuss about awards
Hello guys Wink2

I think about to stop mapping till TM2. I'm getting so frustrated about feedback on my Tracks. I don't cry about not getting awards on TMX, it's only weird that i spend hours of work for max. 15 awards and a few comments. Then i see other overrated uses who build a piece of "shit" that doesn't take you alot of work with bad MT and no scenery. They get 40 awards and lots of comments on their tracks how epic it is.
Maybe my tracks are simple shitty but why do i don't get negative feedback then? Why are some guys so much overrated and some other guys so underrated?
Today, for example, i was on PPO. There were 28 people. We played a good track, not outstanding but good, and the builder got i think 10 awards. After that we played my new map. I was lucky that i still had 23 Karma and i was thinking that i can earn lots of feedbacks now. At least only a few people wrote that they like the intro, i got no awards, no comments, no recs. Nothing. Thats kinda frustrating , because the map wasn't a work of 1 hour. It took me quite a little time to make it as bugfree as possible and not to boring.

I open this topic because i think we should discuss this. I know there'll be people who agree with me and there will be people on the other side who are happy with the system because they earn 30+ awards for every map they upload.

Okay, gogo guys, discuss Biggrin

Tell me now, what do you stand for?
02.02.2011 23:26
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nico Offline
El Psy Kongroo
FunTracker

RE: Let's discuss about awards
Yes, I agree with you, too much of author are so overrated, and the track is crap but they get 40+ award -.-
They authors overrated are coast mapper, the rest is famous ^^
Me I have 8-10 award on all my track I've uploaded. (except 2 or 3 track).
As you said "piece of "shit"" I totally agree with you.
Then I'm not good in English and I hope you understand me xD Sideways

[Image: ZQD4ZwNjZmx4.png]
[Image: AQtlAwD0AmH5.png]
03.02.2011 11:09
Marcel Offline
ここにはコードがありません。
ClanLeader

Awards never had any value to me... It's nice to have some, it's nicer to have much, but in the end, they don't say anything. More important to me were the feedbacks in the (German) forum. I built the maps because it made fun, not because of the awards Wink2

[Image: 54e39adf682a7e.png][Image: 54e81d421182e1.png]
[Image: message.png]
03.02.2011 11:29
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Snakey Offline
SpaßMapper
ClanLeader

I don't know your newer maps, but maybe they are not as fun to drive as the easier ones. Lot's of people don't look for a well built track, they just rate the track well, if it's fun. And if they can't finish a track in their first tries, they don't like it.

Well @ the Awards: It's nice to get them, it's like a reward for the work, but actually you should be happy if you like your track yourself. Sur there are overrated and underrated authors. I thought underrated authors were just "unfound" tracks, and overrated tracks were from authors, which are veeery popular.

[Image: tankmaniatransparentsnpo34.png]
03.02.2011 14:26
|@ndy| Offline
Skilled Mapper
FunTracker

saft ... -.-
I've got the same problem. I'm uploading maps to tmx since march 2010 and my most awarded map has 28 awards -.-
I don't notice this coast/stad (like OLDA_x) noobs who build bullshit and got 150 awards or so.
But yes there are some overrated mappers..but imo awards don't care! i just want to build..imo it's fun and it keeps me being creative!

What?!?! Tongue
[Image: tmoplayer.php?amdyly]
03.02.2011 16:10
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nimrod Offline
no title since 1773
FunTracker

yes, I agree Marsel, it is nice to have them, but they are not important.

And I also get always angry when I see those overrated craptracks
(This post was last modified: 03.02.2011 17:09 by Nimrod.)
03.02.2011 17:07
sebik1992 Offline
FT member
Inactive FunTracker

Then you should call me this 'overrated' one, because I have no probs with awards. My fault? Am I involved in award-mafia on TMX? I don't think so, so yours arguments are not strong enough for me.
To be honest for me the awards matter. But the amount is not the most important value. The most valuable infos are that who post it. I really enjoy when I recieve award from someone 'known'... not famous, but from the person who is not random player and is somehow known in TMX/PPO community. The more if he leave constrictive feedback, but if I'd recieved short award from Dakkon or Jenox I would me far more valuable for me than long one from Mr.Dvd (what's nearly impossible), because I would know the person really appreicated the track.

PS. I same post brief awards so think through it again (or not if you find my awards untrue) Biggrin
(This post was last modified: 03.02.2011 18:01 by sebik1992.)
03.02.2011 17:57
Nimrod Offline
no title since 1773
FunTracker

yes, some nice feedbacks are always good. NinjAstar for example writes great awards.
03.02.2011 22:53
Rast Offline
The Devilizer
FunTracker

Look Here. I wrote what I think about his awards. Look, I'm making maps, and I have some awards, but not so many. Sebik, I think, that you gain awards because of popularity. Yeah, you made so many great maps, and I love them too, but without popularity, you wouldn't gain any award. I hope you understand me. Look at Lolig, or Zio, or Crixu. They make so good maps, but they are not as much popular as FT/XT/LT members. So we can say, that awards = popularity Smile. If you don't understand me, please correct me ( I want to improve my language ^^)

Darkness, light, word, existence...
03.02.2011 23:36
Shock Offline
What eggs?!
FunTracker

When I read "overrated" this thread was dead for me...

[Image: AGNmAmp3ZGp2.png]
[Image: le_Brauer.png]
03.02.2011 23:56
Oldsäck Offline
Amateur Mapper
Inactive FunTracker

I wouldn´t say that popularity=awards.I am the best wxaple for it because i also build incredible hard maps at the beginnig who dont make so much fun because you cant get them.So i thought about making a coast map which should be more fun and i build Idylle2. I got 42 awards for it and i wasnt popular. So i think that you get awards not for hard maps or because there is a cool intro at the beginning, you will get awards when you build a map which makes fun to drive because you can hunt times and the track is easy to finish.

And another things i would say that tracks are overrated.That is truly shit Smile because everyone can awards tracks he want because they make fun to him or something else because kaugummi 59 or someone else dont care about this epic scenery or the impressive mt work or those godlike screens ,they only care about the fun and so it isnt overated when some guys who love those tracks where you are driving around awards these.
And for exaple shock is one of the guys who is totally not overated and sebik also not and they also dont get awards because they are popular.they get them because they build maps which are not so hard make fun to hunt on have super mt and nice screens and ideas and when anybody can finish this tracks they are getiing more and more awards and so it is logical that they are getting so much Smile

Oldy Smile

[Image: weiberg565.png]
04.02.2011 08:31
Joyeux Offline
EGG.
FunTracker

ShockFreak Wrote: (03.02.2011 23:56)  
When I read "overrated" this thread was dead for me...
omg, +10000 Thumbsup

Seriously, don't you think the award system is a pure fail? If we open a thread to talk about that, it shows something imo ... Tongue

As for bullshit map : Are you jealous? Let them earn award from the others coast noobs! Your prefer get 20 awards by "bullshit" maker or 1 award from ... Sebik? Biggrin
Why are you frustrated? Do you really think, when you see something like that, that the awards mean the level? Do you need them to know that you are awesome mappers? Are you so unconfident? Biggrin

I personnaly agree with Rast and Oldsack at the same time. Oldsack, you're epicly true on the fact that a unkown author can suddendly get 4o awards (like you, Kratze, etc ...) and that, the more your map is easy and fun, the more it has chances to get a lot of awards. But Rast is also right, the more you're popular, the more you have chance to get awards.

So, there isn't one "ingredient" to get those little gold cup. If you're lucky, if you uploaded your map at the good moment, etc ...

This is the point that I didn't understand some months ago. That's why I almost don't care about awards anymore ... ofc, I'm happy when I get them, but I'm not frustrated at those guys which we currently call "coast noobs" ... Let them live, let them do what they want, and don't hate them because they get more awards than you and because they make more "shit" maps than you Wink2

Ugly
(This post was last modified: 04.02.2011 19:46 by Joyeux.)
04.02.2011 19:45
|@ndy| Offline
Skilled Mapper
FunTracker

as i already said i don't care about awards..even if i get 0 awards for an epic map that took 3 month (my maps take around 3 days xDDDDD ), i wouldn't care.
as JL said you can suddenly get 40 awards.. my 1. map i uploaded on tmx got 2 awards..next was a deserter and it got 25 awards in 3 days .. and this was just luck.. that people saw the track and tested it..that they drove it in ppo and weren't to lazy to award it. so people like kaugumi, fellbein and all these coast noobs only get so mayn awards, since they spam their 'friends' that they made a new map and htat they have to award it ( like kaugummi tried by sending me pms xDDDDDDDD ) but JL you say that the award system is fail... that's not right :/ it's quite good.. sure some people can just write award even if they haven't test the map ( this would be an idea.. first you have to upload a time,before you can award it ) but then people would be too lazy for it. so imo the systme is quite good.

I have a perfect example why awards aren't important... it's not aout awards but about YOUR opinion of your map. today i made the MTC map.. and send it to my friend Duck.. usually he loves my map, but this time he didn't liked it. But i haven't changed anyhting,because i love it Smile so it doesn't matter if people like your track (and award it ) . it's important that YOU like your own work.
Ugly uglyness <3

What?!?! Tongue
07.02.2011 22:43
Saftstein Offline
Saftstein wreslted a bear once
Inactive FunTracker

|@ndy| Wrote: (07.02.2011 22:43)  
as i already said i don't care about awards..even if i get 0 awards for an epic map that took 3 month (my maps take around 3 days xDDDDD ), i wouldn't care.
as JL said you can suddenly get 40 awards.. my 1. map i uploaded on tmx got 2 awards..next was a deserter and it got 25 awards in 3 days .. and this was just luck.. that people saw the track and tested it..that they drove it in ppo and weren't to lazy to award it. so people like kaugumi, fellbein and all these coast noobs only get so mayn awards, since they spam their 'friends' that they made a new map and htat they have to award it ( like kaugummi tried by sending me pms xDDDDDDDD ) but JL you say that the award system is fail... that's not right :/ it's quite good.. sure some people can just write award even if they haven't test the map ( this would be an idea.. first you have to upload a time,before you can award it ) but then people would be too lazy for it. so imo the systme is quite good.

I have a perfect example why awards aren't important... it's not aout awards but about YOUR opinion of your map. today i made the MTC map.. and send it to my friend Duck.. usually he loves my map, but this time he didn't liked it. But i haven't changed anyhting,because i love it Smile so it doesn't matter if people like your track (and award it ) . it's important that YOU like your own work.
Ugly uglyness <3
Sorry but i can't agree with your last sentence. I don't make the maps for ME, i make it for the other people. So i care about other opinions and i'm happy when other people like my maps Wink2

Tell me now, what do you stand for?
08.02.2011 13:53
|@ndy| Offline
Skilled Mapper
FunTracker

i do it for me Tongue
^because it's fun to build^^

What?!?! Tongue
08.02.2011 19:34
Shock Offline
What eggs?!
FunTracker

In my opinion both is important. The opinions of the "Others" and your own opinion. Because building something that other people love and you dislike is not the goal of mapping. Neither it is to just build tracks that only you like. Happy

08.02.2011 20:54
Joyeux Offline
EGG.
FunTracker

I agree with shock again Tongue

But, you're right andy, I was too hard when I told the award system is a pure fail ... The idea itself is really awesome, but it's not used well by all the mappers/drivers Wink2

Ugly
12.02.2011 20:13
Shock Offline
What eggs?!
FunTracker

Joyeux Wrote: (12.02.2011 20:13)  
The idea itself is really awesome, but it's not used well by all the mappers/drivers Wink2
You got a good point there. The very problem are these "friend-awards" which seem to be written before the awarder even saw the track. Also, I think that the awards like, "too hard for me. but awesome...", are not much better. If I can't finish a track I don't award it. Simple, isn't it. But some people think that by watching the GPS they can judge whether the track is good or not.

13.02.2011 13:23
Wallaby Offline
wandeinvon
FunTracker

awards are yellow little 20 pixel objects which give everybody a brain wash obviously. like tactical nukes in my case Teeth
btw you should recognize the tracks like blue speed you mentioned are incredibly old. It's not my alltimefavourite track aswell , but compared to that what I built back in 2006/7/and early 8 it's even still a piece of art imo.
Around 2 1/2 years back I had a similar opinion about awards...probably I was really the most agressive guy ever if it's about that but sometime there.
But please don't build forced onlinetracks , although you didn't even enjoy building it , just to gain awards like I did , keep your style you like and improve it! Happy

keep your agressions up for a punching ball or maybe cod , but not for TM , we don't kill people , we drive tracks Sideways
(This post was last modified: 16.02.2011 00:11 by Wallaby.)
15.02.2011 23:39
tmjonas Offline
dä iX eR (powah)

Do you build the maps for yourself or for the others?

It's a bit like the music business, isn't it? Do you want to stick to your own principles and risk that a majority isn't going to like your work or do you adapt your style to the community (mainstream), to the people who are going to play your track? Should you build an easy track even if you don't like driving it but you know lots of people will like it? There's no real answer to this I guess, it's just everyone's own business.

Let's just build everyone what he/she likes. Xmastree likes to build simple and fun tracks, Ciru likes to build tracks full of transitions etc. Some people like it, some don't. Where's the problem? Build, have fun with it, that's it. Whether you stick to your own style, try to build versatile tracks or just make simple tracks doesn't matter, does it? However, it starts to matter as soon as we're talking about servers, competitions and these kinds. But that's a different story.

Jeez, I haven't even been talking about awards.

PS: I'd sign the posts made by Marcel and Oldsäck, besides, this topic just amuses me. Smile

16.02.2011 00:48